3D Printing is offered for free at the Riverfront Library, provided you have a Library card. You can attend one of our 3D Printing classes and create your own key chain OR you can design or download a 3D file and email it to us (email@example.com) or bring it to the 3rd floor reference desk on a flashdrive. The file should be either a *.stl, *.obj or *.thing file type.
3D Printing Policy
1. Staff will review and prepare all project files, and they have the right to refuse projects deemed harmful or otherwise objectionable.
2. Items must adhere to copyright restrictions.
3. Jobs that require multiple printing of components take longer to print.
4. We cannot promise specific colors will be available.
5. Please allow up to 5 business days to have objects printed. If there is a delay with your object, you will be notified.
6. You will be contacted when object is ready to be picked up. Items not picked up will become the property of the library and placed on display after 30 days.
7. If the object is delicate, you must remove your own rafts and supports.
8. File must be able to print in 5 hours or less.
9. Currently there is no cost for 3D printing at the Library.
10. This policy may change at any time. If you have questions, please speak with a staff member prior to undertaking your project or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Designing: Free 3D design programs are available online, such as tinkercad.com, sketchup.com and autodesk.com.
Downloading: 3D objects can be downloaded from tinkercad.com or thingiverse.com.
Our printers: We have two 3D printers: a Makerbot Replicator 2 (5th gen) and a FlashForge Creator Pro. Our printers use PLA (polylacticacid) filament, a bio-plastic made from cornstarch and sugar cane.
Colors: Colors change on a regular basis. If you have a specific color request for your item, we will do our best to accommodate you. Objects print in one solid color.
3D Printing classes are offered. Check our Tech Central calendar for dates and times.
For questions regarding 3D printing, contact the 3rd Floor Reference Desk at 914-375-7966.