The first historical society in Yonkers began in 1882 as “The Committee on the Historical Records of Yonkers.”
In 1891, the Society, then known as “The Yonkers Historical and Library Association,” helped to preserve historic Philipse Manor Hall. This group was active until taken over by the Yonkers branch of the Westchester Historical Society.
In the early 1950s, historic Sherwood House was threatened with demolition. A small group succeeded in saving and preserving the structure. This group of dedicated citizens also assumed the records and membership of the Yonkers branch of the Westchester Historical Society and formed the Yonkers Historical Society as we know it today.
Click here to learn more