3D Printing is offered for free at the Library, provided you have a Library card. You can attend one of our 3D Printing classes and design your own 3d object using tinkercad.com OR you can design or download a 3D file and either email it to us (firstname.lastname@example.org) or bring it to the 3rd floor reference desk on a flashdrive. The file should be in *.stl format.
3D Printing Policy
1. Staff will review and prepare all project files, and they have the right to refuse projects deemed harmful or otherwise objectionable.
2. Items must adhere to copyright restrictions.
3. No more than 3 requests per patron, per month.
4. We cannot promise specific colors will be available.
5. Please allow 5 business days to have objects printed. If there is a delay with your object, you will be notified.
6. You will be contacted when object is ready to be picked up. Items not picked up will become the property of the library and placed on display after 30 days.
7. If the object is delicate, you must remove your own rafts and supports.
8. File must be able to print in 5 hours or less.
9. Currently there is no cost for 3D printing at the Library.
10. This policy may change at any time. If you have questions, please speak with a staff member prior to undertaking your project or send an email to email@example.com.
Designing: Free 3D design programs are available online, such as tinkercad.com, sketchup.com and autodesk.com.
Downloading: 3D objects can be downloaded for free from tinkercad.com or thingiverse.com.
Our printers: We have two 3D printers at the Riverfront Library: a Makerbot Replicator + and a Makerbot Z18. The Crestwood library has a Makerbot Replicator. Our printers use PLA (polylacticacid) filament, a bio-plastic made from cornstarch and sugar cane.
Colors: Colors change on a regular basis. If you have a specific color request for your item, we will do our best to accommodate you. Objects print in one solid color.
Check our Tech Central calendar for dates and times.
To register for a training session, click here.
For questions regarding 3D printing, contact the 3rd Floor Reference Desk at 914-375-7966 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.