The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has opened a Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) at the Grinton I. Will Library at 1500 Central Park Avenue, Yonkers, NY to assist homeowners, business owners and renters affected by the September 2 severe storm and flooding from Hurricane Ida.
Hours of operation are daily (Monday-Sunday) 8AM-7PM. The Will Library will continue to offer other library services during its normal hours of service: Monday-Thursday: 10am-7pm, Friday/Saturday: 10am-5pm, and Sunday: 12-5pm.
DRC’s offer in-person support to individuals and small business owners. Specifically, residents may get help to do the following:
- Apply for assistance
- Learn the status of your FEMA application.
- Understand any letters you get from FEMA.
- Find housing and rental assistance information.
- Get answers to questions or resolve problems.
- Get referrals to agencies that may offer other assistance.
- Learn about Small Business Administration (SBA) loan programs.
Individuals do not have to visit a recovery center to register or receive federal assistance. These centers provide a location for applicants to submit documentation or discuss their case in-person with a FEMA or SBA representative. Before visiting a recovery center, survivors can register for federal assistance one of the following ways:
- Online at DisasterAssistance.gov;
- Using the FEMA App; or
- Calling 800-621-3362 (including 711 or Video Relay). TTY users can call 800-462-7585. The toll-free numbers are open from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. ET, seven days a week. Multilingual operators are available.
Anyone requiring a reasonable accommodation (ASL interpreting, Braille, Large print, etc.) may call 800-621-3362 to request assistance in advance or ask the recovery staff at the center for assistance.
In addition to recovery specialists from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Small Business Administration (SBA), the Will Library Disaster Recovery Center also hosts representatives from New York State’s Department of Financial Services and Department of Motor Vehicles. The Westchester County Department of Health and Department of Social Services are currently stationed at the center, as well as the City of Yonkers Office Constituent Services. The Red Cross is also currently offering a variety of services.