What is the 2020 Census and why should I complete It?
The decennial census is a constitutionally-mandated count of the United States population that occurs every 10 years. Based on census responses, states receive a share of about $650 billion in federal funding each year, from services ranging from education to public housing to health services, proportional to their official census count. It also determines how many representatives serve each state in Congress.
By completing the census you can help ensure that New York State and the Yonkers community receive their fair share of federal funding and political representation. It can also help Yonkers surpass 200,000 residents in its official population count! An undercount means Yonkers and New York State will be underfunded and underrepresented.
Earlier this month, the US Census Bureau mailed a 2020 Census letter that contains a Census ID for each household. You can now go to my2020census.gov to fill out your census response, using the Census ID on the mailer, or by entering your address and cross streets. If you can’t or don’t want to fill out the form online they will send a paper questionnaire in a few weeks.
Information on filling out the 2020 Census
- You can use your computer or smartphone to fill it out, call them with the numbers listed below, or mail it in. It takes about 10 minutes.
- If you don’t have a Census ID (found on the mailing), you can use your address and cross street.
- If you don’t necessarily identify with Male or Female, simply check the one that you most identify with.
- With the ethnicity questions, again, check the one you most identify with. You can write as many as you feel are necessary in the box.
- You must include everyone living in your house as of April 1, 2020 (6 months or more qualifies them as a resident).
- ALL CHILDREN COUNT.
- This information is used for statistical purposes only, and cannot be accessed by other government agencies.
- Facts and more information is available on their website at www.2020census.gov/.
There are several ways that you can contact the U.S. Census Bureau for support.
For language support: The 2020 Census can be completed by phone in the following languages. Phone lines are open every day from 7 am to 2 am Eastern Time.
- English: 844-330-2020
- Spanish: 844-468-2020
- Chinese (Mandarin): 844-391-2020
- Chinese (Cantonese): 844-398-2020
- Vietnamese: 844-461-2020
- Korean: 844-392-2020
- Russian: 844-417-2020
- Arabic: 844-416-2020
- Tagalog: 844-478-2020
- Polish: 844-479-2020
- French: 844-494-2020
- Haitian Creole: 844-477-2020
- Portuguese: 844-474-2020
- Japanese: 844-460-2020
- English (for Puerto Rico residents): 844-418-2020
- Spanish (for Puerto Rico residents): 844-426-2020
For information on services for people who are deaf or hard of hearing: Call the TDD number at 844-467-2020.