This is the first in a series of posts highlighting some of the valuable (but not always well-known) digital resources you have access to as a YPL cardholder.
Did you know that your Yonkers Public Library (YPL) card gets you access to dozens of apps, research databases, and digital content libraries for books, movies and comic books? You can find the full list of these resources by visiting the YPL Research page at ypl.org/research. These subscription services would normally charge you a monthly fee, but your membership to YPL gets you them for free! Every #digitaltuesday we will highlight one of these digital resources – we encourage you to check them out and take advantage of them.
First up is LinkedIn Learning. LinkedIn Learning (formerly known as Lynda.com) is a learning platform that contains over 16,000 video courses, ranging from tech skills like coding and video editing to business skills like project management and digital marketing. The videos are instructed by experts in their subject field and are professionally produced. The courses have downloadable exercise files so you can follow along with the instructor or practice on your own. If you are looking to move up at your job, or find a new one, LinkedIn Learning gives you the training you need to skill up. It’s such a helpful tool that over 78% of Fortune 500 companies subscribe to LinkedIn Learning for their employees’ professional development needs.
Normally LinkedIn Learning would cost you $26.99/month to subscribe – but your as a YPL member you get it for FREE using your library card barcode and PIN!
To access LinkedIn Learning through a web browser:
- Go to LinkedIn Learning’s Westchester Library System page: https://www.linkedin.com/learning-login/go/westchesterlibraries (do NOT go directly to linkedin.com).
- Click the “Get started” button.
- Enter in your 14-digit YPL library card number and PIN. (Apply for a card here.)
To access LinkedIn Learning through the app:
- Download the LinkedIn Learning app from Google Play / App Store
- Open the app
- Select “Sign In”
- Select “Sign in with your library card”
- You’ll be prompted to “Enter your Library ID”. Tap on the box and enter “westchesterlibraries” (all lowercase, no quotation marks, so it matches the URL above)
- Enter in your YPL library card number or username and PIN and click on “Continue”.