While our library buildings are closed, we can’t loan our beloved print and multimedia collections. However, we can provide you with access to our large and growing library of eBooks and eAudiobooks – which you can borrow 24/7, don’t get lost or damaged, and won’t incur late fees.
Our main platform for loaning eBooks is called Overdrive. As a YPL cardholder you have access to over 57,000 eBook and eAudiobook titles, with over 107,000 combined copies available. You can search and browse those titles on westchester.overdrive.com.
To download and read eBooks or play eAudiobooks on your phone or tablet, you’ll want to download Overdrive’s app, Libby. You can download it for free from Apple App Store (iOS) and Google Play Store (Android).
Once you’ve downloaded Libby, open it up and select “Find My Library.” You can search by city or zip code, but you’ll want to select “Westchester Library System.” Next, add your YPL library card barcode and PIN to fully sign into your account.
After that, you’re ready to borrow items! You can search and browse, and limit results by format (eBook, eAudiobook), availability (to only show books “available now”) and audience (juvenile, young adult, adult) in the “Library” section of the app. You can also set these as preferences.
Once you’ve downloaded an eBook or eAudiobook, you can always find it on the “Shelf” section of the app.
Some more information on your Overdrive/Libby account:
- You can borrow up to 10 items at a time.
- You can place up to 10 holds at a time for titles with no available copies. Once a hold becomes available you can either borrow it immediately, or have it delivered later when you are ready for it.
- You can select whether to borrow eBooks or eAudiobooks for 7 days or 14 days.
- If you borrow items through westchester.overdrive.com after signing in with your library card and PIN, they will automatically sync to your Libby app.
- If you use a Kindle reader or app, you will also need an Amazon account. We recommend using the westchester.overdrive.com and not the Libby app to borrow eBook titles for the Kindle. Books borrowed using the Libby will automatically download to the app.