Life can be stressful. It’s important that we take a moment to get in tune with ourselves.
Andrea Deierlein of Thrive Reiki has provided guidance on how to practice mindfulness on a daily basis. Below is her description of a simple meditation exercise.
- Find a comfortable position. You can either sit or lie down.
- Close your eyes or leave them open with a soft gaze.
- Pay attention to your breathing. Inhale slowly to the count of five into your belly and
exhale to the count of six or seven or longer. Repeat 10 times.
- When you feel settled, bring your awareness to your body.
- Start at the feet. Focus your attention on your toes, then the heels, then the soles. Stay
in each spot for a few breaths and notice the different sensations you are experiencing.
- Then bring your attention to your legs and knees. Notice how they are feeling in a
- Proceed to bring your attention to your abdomen, how it rises and falls with every
breath that you are taking. Stay there for a while, resting in your center.
- Then proceed the same pattern with your torso, your back, neck, face, and head. One
- Whenever your mind wanders, bring it back to the body part you last remember.
- Repeat until you feel calm and centered. Or fall asleep ;-
Please do not judge or analyze what you are feeling. Just notice your body and its presence. Let it be
your anchor. Develop moment-to-moment awareness and over time, hone this skill.
Don’t hesitate to tell me how you like this meditation. I am here to help you be more present and balanced, so that you can be in tune with yourself – and with life.