Yonkers Public Library (YPL) seeks a dynamic and dedicated library leader to serve as its Deputy Director. Reporting to the Library Director, and working collaboratively with a diverse and talented management team and staff from YPL’s three locations, the Deputy Director will play a key role in strategic planning, guiding library operations, and managing projects and partnerships. Excellent customer service, communication and interpersonal skills are essential.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
The work is almost entirely administrative and involves responsibility, under the general direction of the Library Director for assigned phases of library administration. Work is performed in accordance with prescribed policy with considerable leeway allowed for the exercise of independent judgement and initiative. Acts for the Library Director when delegated to do so. Supervision is exercised over the work and personnel of library functional units. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (Illustrative Only)
- Recommends policies and procedures to the Library Director;
- Conducts studies and analyses of library operations and make recommendations;
- In the absence of the Director acts in his or her stead;
- Develops, recommends and implements new programs and/or services;
- Develops grants for library programs and services as appropriate and available;
- Consults with department heads on administrative and technical library problems;
- Represents the library at community and group meetings;
- Conducts staff meetings or staff training sessions;
- Keeps informed of professional developments through participation in professional organizations, systems meetings, workshops, continuing education courses and reading professional materials;
- Prepares state, local and other statistical or narrative reports as required;
- Participates in preparation of departmental budgets;
- Participates in recruitment, selection, training and evaluation of employees;
- When so assigned, makes decisions concerning the organization and allocation of work to staff;
- Plans and supervises library programming;
- Coordinates publicity and public relations;
- Plans and participates in writing grant proposals and administering grant funds;
- Plans and participates in private fundraising activities.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Thorough knowledge of library administration practices;
- Thorough knowledge of modern library organizations, procedures, polices, aims and services;
- Thorough knowledge of modern principles and practices of library science;
- Thorough knowledge of the applications of computer technology to library operations;
- Good oral communication skills with both individuals and groups;
- Ability to carry out library policies;
- Ability to train and supervise library staff;
- Ability to plan and coordinate the work of others;
- Ability to express ideas clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to read, comprehend users’ needs quickly and accurately;
- Ability to exercise leadership and motivate others;
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with community organizations;
- Tact and courtesy in dealing with staff and public.
A Master’s Degree in Librarianship from a library school that is accredited by the American Library Association or recognized by the New York State Education Department as following acceptable education practices; and five (5) years of professional library experience, one (1) year which must have been in an administrative or supervisory capacity.
Eligibility for a New York State public librarian’s professional certificate at time of application; possession of certificate at time of appointment.
This is a Civil Service appointment, requiring the candidate to be reachable on the Assistant Library Director Certification of Eligibles list, which is determined by a training and experience test as established by the Yonkers Civil Service Commission. There is no current list.
Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references to the Search Committee via email to email@example.com.
About Yonkers Public Library
Yonkers Public Library (YPL) serves the 200,000 residents of Yonkers, NY – the fourth largest city in New York State. YPL provides a mixture of traditionally urban and suburban library services through its three locations: the Riverfront Library in downtown Yonkers, the Grinton I. Will Library on Central Park Avenue, and the Crestwood Library in the Crestwood section of the city. Our mission is to change lives every day. Our expert, trusted staff help all the people of Yonkers find the information they need, the programs they enjoy and the reading they love. For more information about the Yonkers Public Library, visit www.ypl.org.