The New Sustainable You is a ZOOM program hosted by the Yonkers Public Library and presented by Crestwood Library staff member Jackie Leone. In 2022, the program will continue to explore sustainable habits for a healthier and environmentally friendly lifestyle.
The next session will be Beat the January Blues on Wednesday, January 12 from 1-2 pm via ZOOM. To join the Zoom Meeting, go to this link: https://us06web.zoom.us/j/87322799582?pwd=b0lpV2ljWFc2N2V3YTRJMUk2cEV2UT09
(Meeting ID: 873 2279 9582 Passcode: 541431)
Below are some winter tips and a recipe that Jackie has shared with us.
Eco-Conscious Tips for the Winter
- Turn down the thermostat and wear layers.
- Use caution when de-icing. Not all salts are safe for pets and the environment.
- Switch to energy efficient light bulbs
- Don’t leave your car running for too long.
- Shovel before the snow turns to ice so that you use less salt.
- Close up drafty spaces. Try plexiglass to place against windows to greatly reduce drafts while maintaining a view to the outside.
- Winterize pipes.
- Use heavier curtains on your windows to keep warmer at night.
Lip Balm Recipe
- Shea butter
- Cocoa butter* (I buy organic, cold pressed and unrefined, and also use it in my favorite hot chocolate)
- Almond oil (Avocado or coconut)
- Jojoba oil
- Vitamin E
- Essential oil of choice
- 1 tsp beeswax (heaping)
- 2 tsp shea butter
- 1 tsp cocoa butter
- 1 tsp almond oil
- 1 tsp jojoba oil
- 5 drops vitamin E
- 12-18 drops essential oil
- Measure beeswax, shea butter and cocoa butter and put in the top of a double boiler
- Melt the butters and waxes over low heat in your double boiler until completely combined
- Add the almond oil and jojoba oil and stir
- Remove from heat and add Vitamin E and essential oils
- Pour into lip balm tubes or tins
- Allow to cool completely (at least 30 minutes)
Yonkers Public Library staff member Jackie Leone has resided in Crestwood since 1987. She advocates for the environment through the library program The New Sustainable You. Her goal is for the library to become a center for eco-conscious learning and environmental education.