Federal law has changed, and more tax credits are now available to New Yorkers who buy a health plan through NY State of Health!
Here is what you need to know:
- The American Rescue Plan, the $1.9 trillion economic stimulus package that was signed into law on March 11, 2021, will lower health care costs by providing new and expanded financial assistance to New Yorkers enrolling in health insurance through NY State of Health.
- This new, enhanced assistance is available to current and new enrollees, including, for the first time, higher-income individuals (if they qualify).
- The larger tax credits are available now for New Yorkers with lower or moderate incomes.
- Individuals already enrolled through NY State of Health at these income levels will be notified to visit NY State of Health, call the NY State of Health Customer Service Center, or contact a certified NY State of Health Navigator to update their information.
- Consumers who complete their updated enrollment in April will receive a premium invoice from their health plan that reflects the lowered premium amount beginning in May.
- Starting in June, NY State of Health will apply these higher tax credits to current enrollees without requiring any action by the enrollee. Enrollees will have the opportunity to make changes by logging into their NY State of Health Account, contacting an Enrollment Navigator, or calling NY State of Health at: 1-855-355-5777.
- Also in June, higher-income New Yorkers can access the new tax credits.
- For New Yorkers who are eligible for unemployment insurance for at least one week in 2021, the American Rescue Plan will allow them to sign up for a nearly free health plan through NY State of Health for coverage that lasts for all of 2021. To be eligible for this plan, consumers cannot be eligible for other health insurance such as Medicaid, Medicare, or employer-sponsored coverage. Instructions on how to apply will be added to the NY State of Health Web site when available.
To allow as many consumers as possible to access these enhanced tax credits, and in light of the ongoing public health emergency, NY State of Health has extended its Open Enrollment Period for Qualified Health Plans to December 31, 2021. Ensuring access to affordable health coverage and care is more important than ever, so that individuals do not avoid seeking testing or medical care for fear of cost during the ongoing public health emergency. This deadline extension allows consumers additional time to enroll for 2021 coverage.
Individuals who are eligible for other NY State of Health programs—Medicaid, Essential Plan, and Child Health Plus—can enroll year-round. The best way for you to receive assistance at this time is to phone a NY State of Health Navigator for help.
For help in Westchester County, contact the Department of Health at: HNAV@westchestergov.com or call: (914) 995-6350. Or visit their Health Insurance Access Program page online. (La ayuda también está disponible en español.)
For a Statewide directory, visit NY State of Health’s online Navigator Directory.
If you would like to learn more about the American Rescue Plan, check out the new fact sheet on the NY State of Health Web site. And if you would like more details on how NY State of Health enrollees can benefit from the American Rescue Plan, visit the information page at: https://info.nystateofhealth.ny.gov/americanrescueplan.