Yonkers Public Library (YPL) is committed to supporting health and wellness in the Yonkers community through programming and access to reliable health information. We encourage you to take advantage of these offerings as we all look to make 2021 a healthier and happier year.
Virtual Health, Fitness and Wellness Programs
Every month, YPL offers dozens of virtual programs that support fitness, nutrition and mindfulness. As we kick off the new year, we’re really excited about an 8 week program, Keys to Healthy Living with Tarsha Gibbons, which runs every Thursday at 10:30am starting today, January 7, through February 25. You can register for this fitness series here.
In addition to this series we offer some regularly scheduled reoccurring events most weeks:
- Mindful Monday (Mondays, 9am): practicing mindfulness through breathing and Yoga Nidra with Helena Svedin.
- Melt Method Hand & Foot Workshops (Tuesdays, 9am): a hand and foot self-care workshop based on the The Melt Method with Lois Heitner.
- Zumba Class (Tuesdays, 6pm): a fun and effective workout driven by Latin and international music.
- Body/Mind Fitness with Coach Karl (Wednesdays, 9am): mindfulness and movement exercises.
- Yoga for Yogis (Thursdays, 9am): A yoga class instructed by local Yonkers teacher Mandy Engelke.
- Meditation and Chair Yoga (Fridays, 9am): Breathing exercises, meditation and chair yoga.
For the full calendar of health programs and other great events, visit ypl.org/calendar.
We’re able to offer so many health programs in part through funding support from the Westchester County Board of Legislators, with special thanks to Legislator Ruth Walter. Last year, county support helped facilitate over 100 health programs with a combined attendance of over 2,800. We are pleased that we have received continued funding for these programs in 2021!
We’re also fortunate to have great partners in health programming, including Westchester Jewish Community Services, City of Yonkers Office for the Aging, and the Yonkers NNORC (Neighborhood Naturally Occurring Retirement Community),
Health and Fitness Books and Audiobooks
You can also search our catalog to find health-related books and information. Below are some curated book lists to support your health and fitness goals.
New Year’s Resolutions eBooks
Best Diet & Weight Loss Books