- How long will the library be closed?
- As of now, we plan to be closed through March 31, 2020. We will reopen only when it is safe for us to do so. We did not make the decision to close lightly – but rather out of concern for the health and safety of the Yonkers community. We are crafting a plan of service that will allow us to serve the community while our buildings are closed. Please stay tuned for updates as we offer new digital and remote services.
- How can I reach a staff member while the library is closed?
Please allow up to 24-48 hours for a response while we build up our plan for remote service.
- I have a library book that is due, do I have to pay any fines? What do I do if I have books at home?
- During the time of closure, no library materials will be due and overdue fines will not accumulate on materials you have checked out. If you receive an overdue message it is by mistake and it will be waived.
- What library services are available to me? How do I gain access to online books, educational resources and entertainment?
- Yonkers Public Library provides access to a wide range of digital materials. You can search our online catalog, or find our curated list of Library Apps, Online Learning tools, eBooks, eAudiobooks, eMagazines, eMovies, eMusic, Language Learning tools, Test Preparation/LiveTutoring, Homework Resources Online, and Computer Online Tutorials.
Digital entertainment is available on Desktop, Mobile and Roku, Chromecast and Apple TV. Note that if you are using a cell phone or tablet you must download the application first through App for iPhone & iPad or App for Android.
For example, kanopy offers up to 20 films per month, and unlimited plays on Kanopy Kids and The Great Courses. Click on Kanopy Streaming Video, then choose “Westchester Library System” as your library to register your account. Input your library card barcode number and PIN, and you’re in!
How do I request a library card?You can get a free YPL library card if you live in Yonkers. Your card will be accepted in any public library in Westchester. Apply online by filling out the Library Card Application. After you submit your application we will email you back with your library card barcode and PIN so you can begin accessing digital materials remotely.
How can I check the status of my library card?Check the status of your library card by emailing email@example.com, please write in the subject line, “LIBRARY CARD STATUS”. To better serve you, please include your name, phone number, and the library card barcode number. Someone will get back to you within 24-48 hours.
How can I reactivate my library card or reset my pin?Reactivate your library card by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write in the subject line, “REACTIVATE MY LIBRARY CARD”. Please include your name, phone number, and the library card barcode number. We will waive the traditional proof of ID required for reregistration. Someone will renew your library card within 24-48 hours so that you can begin accessing digital materials.
How do I sign up for the YPL e-newsletter?Click here to go directly to the YPL eNewsletter sign-up page.