Since 1998, March 2 has been celebrated as Read Across America Day.
The National Education Association (NEA) established the national celebration as a way to encourage children to read more, and their mission as an organization is to champion for justice and excellence in education.
Read Across America has a yearlong calendar of book recommendations for each month to broaden your reading horizons. We hope you’ll check out some of these book recommendations from the Read Across America campaign.
Reading is critical to a child’s growth – improving their language development, supporting their cognitive development, and preparing them for academic success.
At the Yonkers Public Library, we understand how important it is to foster your child’s growth and development and instill a lifelong love of reading. The 1000 Books Before Kindergarten program encourages parents to read 1000 books with their young children before they enter kindergarten. You can sign up for the program online through ReadSquared, or register in person in the children’s room of your local YPL branch.
We also hope you’ll join us at some of our regular story time programs at all of our branches:
- America Reads: Mondays-Thursdays from 3:00-6:00 PM; Fridays 2:30-5:00 PM
- Storytime with Mr. Ralph: Tuesdays from 11:00-11:45 AM
- Babies and Books: Wednesdays from 11:00-11:30 AM
- Father Goose Stories: Fridays from 11:00-11:45 AM
- Storytime @ Will: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:30-11:00 AM
- Live @ Will: Robert the Guitar Guy: February 17 from 11:15-11:45 AM
- Music with Zev! Live @ Will: February 24 from 11:15 AM – 12:00 PM
- Music & Merriment with Ms. Judy: Wednesdays from 9:30-10:00 AM
- 1000 Book Thursdays @ Crestwood: Thursdays from 10:30-11:00 AM
- Crestwood Saturday Storytime: Saturdays from 10:30-11:00 AM
Alison Robles is a part-time page at the Crestwood Library. She is an avid reader with a passion for YA lit, history and science fiction. A Yonkers native, she graduated from Iona University in 2020 with a dual-degree in Marketing and Public Relations.