The Senior Law Day Collaborative is pleased to make available monthly opportunities for free consultations with professional attorneys, geriatric care managers, financial planners, and other specialists in services for older adults. These individual consultation sessions will be conducted online, via Zoom and are available to Westchester County seniors and their families. The next day scheduled for free consultations is Thursday, December 10th.
Consultations are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. Registration for Thursday, December 10th opens on Wednesday, December 9th at 3:00 PM. Registrants will be notified by e-mail of their meeting time and will be provided with the Zoom meeting link. When all appointment slots have been filled, registration will close and the registration form will no longer be active.
If a video conference is not possible, or you’re not comfortable with Zoom, phone consultations are available. Please leave your name and phone number at: (914) 231-3227. Someone will call you back to arrange scheduling.
This is your chance to have your questions about the legal, health, and financial issues affecting older adults answered by experts in their fields! What kinds of questions can Senior Law Day professionals answer? Here are a few possibilities:
You can ask an attorney:
- What types of documents are required as part of end-of-life planning?
- How can I resolve a dispute with my landlord?
- Who can best administer my estate?
- How do I set up a guardianship for my adult child with a disability?
- How do I qualify for home care services or a nursing home under Medicaid?
- What can I do if I think I am the victim of elder abuse?
Questions a geriatric care manager can answer include:
- How do I train my home health aide?
- Can I still move to an assisted living or nursing facility during the COVID-19 pandemic?
- What services are covered by my long term care insurance policy?
- What benefits can I take advantage of from Medicaid, Medicare, and private insurance?
Check with a financial planner about:
- Which accounts should hold my stocks and bonds?
- How will I be taxed now and in the future?
- When should I begin collecting Social Security income?
- How much should I pay for the insurance that I need?
- How much should I be saving for my retirement?
- Can you help me understand my coverage under my long term care insurance policy?
Be sure to act early! Consultation slots are available between 10:00 AM and 12:00 PM, and go quickly! Again, registration opens at 3:00 PM on Wednesday, December 9th. Visit the Senior Law Day Collaborative Web site this Wednesday and follow the “REGISTER HERE” link to fill out a brief form letting us know how you’d like to connect (Zoom or phone) and the type of questions you have. You will get an e-mail or a call back with the meeting link and time for your consultation.