Read to your Child Day is celebrated every year on February 14th. On a day that is filled with love for your friends and family, it’s also a day to cultivate a love of reading for a young reader in your life.
Reading to children at a young age is critical to their development. Reading aloud to a baby helps them develop language skills, and it supports children’s cognitive development and prepares them for academic success.
At Yonkers Public Library, we want to help support your child’s future and foster a lifelong love of reading. The 1000 Books Before Kindergarten program encourages parents to read 1000 books with their young children before they enter kindergarten. You can sign up for the program online through ReadSquared, or register in person in the children’s room of your local YPL branch.
We hope you join us for some of our in-person story time programs in February at your local branch:
- America Reads: Mondays-Thursdays from 3:00-6:00 PM; Fridays 2:30-5:00 PM
- Storytime with Mr. Ralph: Tuesdays from 11:00-11:45 AM
- Babies and Books: Wednesdays from 11:00-11:30 AM
- Father Goose Stories: Fridays from 11:00-11:45 AM
- Storytime @ Will: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10:30-11:00 AM
- Live @ Will: Robert the Guitar Guy: February 17 from 11:15-11:45 AM
- Music with Zev! Live @ Will: February 24 from 11:15 AM – 12:00 PM
- Music & Merriment with Ms. Judy: Wednesdays from 9:30-10:00 AM
- 1000 Book Thursdays @ Crestwood: Thursdays from 10:30-11:00 AM
- Crestwood Saturday Storytime: Saturdays from 10:30-11:00 AM
- Staycation Pajama Storytime: February 21 from 7:00-7:30 PM
- Snack Buddies Storytime with Nancy: February 23 from 1:00-2:00 PM
- Twinkling Stars Storytime with Nancy: February 27 from 9:30-10:00 AM
And if you’ve got love on the brain, check out some of these love-filled books to read to a young person in your life.
Alison Robles is a part-time page at the Crestwood Library. She is an avid reader with a passion for YA lit, history and science fiction. A Yonkers native, she graduated from Iona University in 2020 with a dual-degree in Marketing and Public Relations.