In June, the Yonkers Public Library launched a Zoom program, The New Sustainable You, presented by Crestwood branch staff member Jackie Leone. This program is brought to you in collaboration with Friends of Crestwood Library, Yonkers NNORC, WJCS, City Of Yonkers Office of the Aging and Westchester County Legislator Ruth Walter.
On Wednesday, July 21, at 1:00 PM on Zoom, the program will continue with a discussion of how to make choices that help us and our community to achieve a smaller carbon footprint. Please bring your experiences about recycling and sustainable purchases to share with the group.
(To join the Zoom Meeting, go to this link: https://zoom.us/j/94796086558?pwd=NWhBVlByYWZqazE4Nnppc21kd0xEZz09
Meeting ID: 947 9608 6558 Passcode: 138782
Or dial by your telephone +1 929 205 6099 Meeting ID: 947 9608 6558)
During the last meeting of The New Sustainable You, there was a discussion about energy-wasting appliances in homes. Jackie has provided a list of some of the biggest energy wasters:
- Hot Water Heater
- Air Conditioner
- Phone and computer chargers (unplug)
- Screen savers (better to power off the computer)
- Turn off lights and any appliances that are not in use
- Light bulbs (switch to LED bulbs)
- Be aware of energy vampires such as TVs and electronics that are plugged into power strips. If the appliances do not need to be drawing electricity all the time, unplug or shut off the power strip.
Books about Sustainability: