As the summer draws to a close, we can see Election Day (Tuesday, November 3rd) on the horizon! Sure, we’ve been knee-deep in electioneering for what seems like ages already, but there are now only two months left before we actually head to the polls. Voting, of course, is the very foundation upon which our democracy rests—it’s the single best opportunity most of us will ever have to shape the direction of our country. And yet, so few of us seem to do it! Here’s a startling statistic: In the 2016 presidential election, 102 million people didn’t vote—that’s far more than voted for any single candidate. The vote is our voice, and it should be used loudly and regularly. Use your voice. Vote!
How to Register to Vote
So, the first question is: Are you registered to vote? If you’re NOT, you can download a copy of the Voter Registration form from the Westchester County Board of Election’s Web site (where it is also available in Spanish). Keep in mind, this is a PAPER form—it has to be printed out, filled in, and mailed back to the Board of Elections at:
Westchester County Board of Elections
25 Quarropas St.
White Plains, NY 10601
You can register to vote ONLINE through the Department of Motor Vehicles IF you already have a New York State Driver License and the DMV’s records have your name, address, date of birth, and gender.
Not sure if you’re registered to vote? The New York State Board of Elections has an online Voter Registration search! It will tell you whether or not you are already registered as well as where your polling location is.
Remember, THE DEADLINE TO REGISTER TO VOTE IN THE GENERAL ELECTION online, in-person, or by mail is OCTOBER 9, 2020. If you’re registering by mail, that means your registration must be postmarked by October 9th.
For more information on registering to vote, head over to the Westchester County Board of Election’s Web site. Or, drop in on our virtual workshop on registering to vote on Tuesday, September 15, 2020! Visit our online calendar to register for the program.
Or, better yet, stop by any of the branches on Tuesday, September 22—it’s National Voter Registration Day! Volunteers will be at Riverfront, Will, and Crestwood to show you how to register, sign up for election reminders, request mail-in ballots, learn about early voting options, and more. Help us celebrate our democracy by registering to vote in-person at your local library!
Yonkers Public Library (YPL) is pleased to partner with the League of Women Voters of Westchester (a nonpartisan political organization) to offer two virtual voter workshops:
Vote 2020! Register to Vote!
Tuesday, September 15, 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM
A virtual workshop to learn why your vote is important and how to get ready for the 2020 General Election by completing the first step – Register to Vote. In this League of Women Voters of Westchester workshop, you will learn step-by-step how to complete a Voter Registration form, and where and how to submit it. Join Zoom Meeting https://zoom.us/j/91548736330 or call 929-205-6099.
Prepare to Vote: 3 Ways to Vote
Tuesday, September 29, 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM
Are you prepared to vote in the 2020 General Election? Have you decided HOW you plan to vote? With the challenging environment that we face due to the COVID-19 pandemic and election law changes, learn everything you need to know about the three ways to vote: Absentee Ballot, Early Voting, and Election Day. The League of Women Voters of Westchester will explain the steps you need to take and the important deadline dates to determine which way to vote is best for you. Join Zoom Meeting https://zoom.us/j/93206937081 or call 929-205-6099.
Key Dates for Voting
- October 9, 2020—Last day to postmark a mail-in application to register for general election
- October 9, 2020—Last day for in-person application at Board of Elections to register for general election
- October 14, 2020—Last day for changes of address to be received by Board of Elections for general election
- October 27, 2020—Last day to postmark application or letter of application for absentee ballot for general election
- November 2, 2020—Last day to apply in person for absentee ballot for general election
- November 2, 2020—Last day to postmark absentee ballot for general election (must be received by the county board of elections no later than November 10, 2020)
- November 3, 2020—Last day to deliver absentee ballot for general election in person to county board of elections (by close of polls on election day)
Key Dates for Military/Special Federal Voters
- October 9, 2020—Last day for board of elections to receive application for special federal absentee ballot for general election if NOT previously registered
- October 24, 2020—Last day for board of elections to receive application for military absentee ballot for general election if NOT previously registered
- October 27, 2020—Last day for board of elections to receive application for special federal or military absentee ballot for general election if ALREADY registered
- November 2, 2020—Last day to apply in-person for military absentee ballot for general election if ALREADY registered
- November 2, 2020—Last day to postmark special federal/military absentee ballot for general election (must be received by county board of elections no later than November 16, 2020)