Memorial Day Weekend is coming this weekend! To commemorate the holiday we've also put together a list of recommended reading. Check out the book list here.
Another great way to honor, celebrate and learn more about the service and sacrifice of U.S. military and veterans is to visit the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum Complex located on Pier 86 off of 47th Street in Manhattan.
The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum is an educational institution featuring the legendary aircraft carrier the Intrepid, the space shuttle Enterprise, the world’s fastest jets and a guided missile submarine. Tickets to the Intrepid can cost up to $36 per adult, but YPL is pleased to offer its cardholders free access to the Intrepid for up to six people through its Museum Pass program. We have a loanable pass to the Intrepid can be borrowed at each of the three YPL locations. That means you can save up to $216 if you go with five other adults!
How The Museum Pass Program Works
The library lets you borrow museum passes the same way it loans out books and DVDS. You'll need to pick up the pass and return it to the same library you borrowed it from. Because they're more expensive and you only need them for one day its a shorter loan period and a higher late fee.
YPL has museum passes to nine separate institutions. You can see the full list of museums at ypl.org/passes.
- Museum passes may be borrowed by Yonkers Public Library cardholders only. If you are a cardholder at another library, please check with them regarding the availability of museum passes.
- Passes may be reserved online up to thirty (30) days in advance or by calling the library directly.
- Passes must be picked up at the library. Some passes are available at all three library locations, others are only at one or two of them.
- In most cases, these passes must be returned two days after check-out. For example: if you request to pick up a pass on Tuesday, it will be due back on Thursday.
- Passes are marked closed for days when the library is closed.
- Yonkers Public Library is not responsible for unexpected museum closures. Check to make sure the museum will be open on the date you plan to visit by checking the museum's website or phoning them!
- Only one (1) pass may be reserved or borrowed by a patron at one time, and no more than two (2) passes may be borrowed in a period of 30 days.
- Please note that Juvenile library cards may not be used to reserve or check out museum passes.
How Do I Reserve A Pass?
- You reserve passes through eventkeeper.com, or by clicking the "Reserve Pass" button on any of the museums listed on the Museum Passes page. Choose a date on the calendar date to see pass availability.
- Click on the museum name for information about the pass (e.g., number of guests admitted, other discounts).
- Click "Request" to reserve the pass. Make sure you are choosing a Yonkers Public Library location you can visit to pick up the pass.
- Pick up the pass on the date you reserved it at your library.
- Passes must be returned to the branch where they were picked up. Please DO NOT return passes in the book drop -- please return to the Circulation Desk.
- Returning a pass to another YPL branch or in the book drop will result in a $10 late fee. Check the library's website for open hours.
- Passes are due back to the library by the close of business two days after check-out (unless the library is closed that day or otherwise noted).
- Returned late passes will incur an overdue fine of $10 per day.
Have fun exploring these museums - and saving money thanks to your YPL library card!